It is important that you take the time to interview potential air duct cleaning companies before you decide whether or not to hire them. The answers to the questions that you ask will tell you a lot about the company and will help make sure that you hire the right company for the job.
Here are some questions you will want to ask an air duct cleaning company before you hire them:
1) How long have you been operating in my area? (Companies with a long record of working in your area are likely to have good customer service records.)
2) What types of air ducts do you have experience cleaning? Do you have specific experience with cleaning the type of air ducts I have in my home? (Improper cleaning techniques can damage air ducts, so you want to make sure that you choose a cleaner that is experienced and trained.
3) What procedures will you use to protect my home from contaminates? (The cleaner should have an answer to this question because you want to make sure that your home is properly protected.)
4) Will you be using any chemicals in my home? (You definitely want to check up on this. Never allow anyone to spray any type of chemicals into your air ducts unless you have agreed and fully researched all of the risks.)
5) What equipment do you plan to use? (Look for vacuum cleaners with HEPA filters.)
6) Is your company licensed to operate in my state? Is your company insured? (The answers to these questions should be yes. Most states require that air duct cleaning companies be licensed. Insurance is also important to protect your property.)
7) Does your company follow the recommended standards set forth by the National Air Duct Cleaners Association or NADCA? (The answer to this question should also be yes.)
8) Will we be signing a contract? Does your company offer any forms of guarantees? (You should always sign a contract with any company you hire to complete a job. Most companies will offer you a warranty or a guarantee. Avoid companies who do not.)